Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Out of the Limbo step 2, Learning your way

The importance of learning

Learning is one of the most important aspects of life as a whole; it helps you overcome great obstacles, make good decisions and surprisingly live stress free. Usually we aren't too eager to learn, in fact most people only do so to get a title, the diploma or get some kind of social standing.

Unfortunately this kind of behavior extends to all the aspects of our life and suddenly, we don't want to learn anything...

Even when learning is something simple and effortless, we usually take the long and hard way, suffering disappointments, anger, sadness, desperation and depression instead of going the easy way and learn what we must (even if we don't want to at first)

You can learn a lot from small things


I want to share a simple example of something that happened to me just moments ago:

I was checking my traffic sources 3 days ago when I noticed that I had two suspicious traffic sources on my blog. I didn't know what they were but instead of trying to learn more about them (since they were from Russia and from places I never visited) I decided to go the long hard way...I waited 3 days not knowing what to do and then I clicked on them instead of searching what they were first.

As you can imagine those were spam sites. I worried a lot because my blog would be cataloged as spam, because I should have never clicked on those pages, I panicked because I couldn't find an option to block or delete them...in short, I gained a lot of stress and desperation because I didn't take the time to learn.

Afterwards I searched in Google what happened and I found this simple but lifesaving blog: "How to Stop/Block Unwanted Referral URLs Entering Your Blogger Blog". Simple and sweet; if I had taken the time to search for it and learn what happened with my traffic sources I would have saved a lot of stress and 3 days of uncertainty and doubts.

Now, at 11:40 PM that I'm writing this instead of going to sleep, I learned about the great impact little things have in one's life and how having a will to learn can change a situation from horribly bad to good. If I had taken 10 minutes to search, I would have saved 3 days of suffering.

The 5 Entrepreneur Learning rules


This same situation happens very often in an Entrepreneur life. Since everything around us change constantly we have to keep up to date, learn every day or die trying.

There are 5 Learning rules that I noticed that if I follow them I get great rewards, more so if I'm in doing something entrepreneur related. I want to share them with you:

  1. Focus your learning: Know exactly what you need and learn it.
  2. Go step by step: Don't try to learn everything at once, it's bad to mental health. Learn by setting yourself small but attainable goals.
  3. Go beyond: If something is interesting for you, look for more info, discover more.
  4. Search beyond your first reference: Usually we don't go beyond the first search results (sometimes we don't even go beyond Wikipedia). We are losing a lot of important information by not searching more.
  5. Find a practical use: Knowledge for the sake of knowledge is useless. Find a way to practice what you learned!

Remember that knowledge can even save your life if you learn what you need and how to apply it. Never stop learning (regardless if you choose to be an Entrepreneur or not) and remember:
"There is more than one way to learn, choose the one that suits you best but please, choose one before you are left behind"



No comments:

Post a Comment