Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Don't stop walking!

As you can see I'm beginning with this blog...it's somewhat difficult to write since this is my first formal attempt at one but I hope that everything goes well.

I wanted to write today because I was reflecting about what I posted before about the commitment (Something to start and the 3 Entrepreneur Pillars). I noticed that when we do something new we usually don't want or don't know how to do it again.

Even in the most simple things it's hard to make commitment


Here is an example of some things that I wanted to commit myself to make habits but I utterly failed:

  • I made a gym schedule because honestly I'm a little overweight. I found that I could always start but I usually never give my schedule any follow up. It's true that you make a habit out of something if you do it regularly in at least a month, but damn it's so hard to make it through the first week!
  • On another time I tried to learn cooking and my girlfriend told me that we should try to bake some muffins to start. We collected the materials, the cookbook and went to her house to begin...as you can imagine it was a mess. We did it a couple of times more but for some reason that I don't truly remember, we stop doing it.
  • I wanted to make hidroponic crops in my house and I invested a lot of time in research, I even made a prototype! But after it, I didn't give it follow up and the few plants that I had withered.

What I needed wasn't knowledge, experience or materials, I needed commitment and after those things happened to me, I seriously took commitment to heart.

Remind yourself


Reminding yourself about a commitment it's very useful and important. You are making yourself aware of your promises and feel obliged to finish them. I personally recommend some kind of physical reminder such as calendars, notes, post its, whatever you use to write your commitments and remind yourself.

Usually when we make a reminder in the real world and someone look at it, they can even remind you of them! It's very useful if you tend to forget something easily. I tell my girlfriend some of my commitments and she always remind me of them, even if I don't want to hear them.

Usually when we don't want to hear a reminder is when we are aware of what we must do but don't want to do it. Avoid this feeling entirely and try to always work and finish what you promise, after all, if you told yourself to do it you have a really good reason to give your commitment the proper follow up.


My personal habit


I want to do an habit of writing regularly, at least once a week or 2 so I will be fighting to at least post something within this time frame. I believe that my words may help someone begin to change his or her life for the better so with that in mind, I can rest assure that my continuous work will do a great good.

Also, since I'm new to programming and I don't know a lot about blog customization, it may take some time to make this blog decent looking but I hope that you find the contents helpful while I work on the customization...another habit creation is on the way :).

Taking my own advise, I took the liberty to write this post to make a physical reminder to work hard to complete my promise. After all, if I don't remind myself to do it I have you to remind me of my commitment.

Thanks for helping me!

No comments:

Post a Comment